5 Must Watch, to explore father-son combo
- Mukti Bhawan (2016): This Beautiful gem tells the story of an ailing father who wish to leave this world in the holy city of Varanasi in order to achieve salvation. Slow paced and objective discussion, leaves you speechless and makes you rethink about your own equation with your father. Audience realise, it’s the small things that matter the most in life. Alert, keep lots of tissue paper to wipe your tears.
2. Waqt-The Race Against Time (2005): Despite his love for son, An Ailing father throws out his son to teach him the harsh lessons of life and to make him understand his responsibilities. Amitabh Bachhan showed the internal contradiction,a father faces but never shows.
3. Masoom (1983): Adapatation of Eric Segal’s Man, Woman, and Child highlights the relation of a father with his illegitimate son. His struggle to overcome social boundaries to accept his son gives audience quite a different experience.
4. Akele Hum Akele Tum (1995): Commercially flog but critically acclaimed movie is one of the best of Amir Khan. A struggling musician and a single father, is ready to do everything to keep his son with him. He even goes out of the way to sell his beloved creation to fulfill the needs of his son. Manisha Koirala, is also noteworthy.
5. Udaan (2010): This official selection for Cannes festival is a masterpiece by Vikramaditya Motwane. While all other movies tell you what ta father should be like, this shows what a father shouldn’t be like. A son struggle to live his dreams under the dictatorship of his father is a true example of human resilience to live his dreams.