Snoring is an unattended issue- Reasons and Remedies
One of the main culprits of the noisy nighttime problem is not a bad or hectic day, but is Zzzzzzzzz psssssssss… sound.
Yes, snoring can be a nuisance to your partner.
Snoring is vibrant, harsh or hoarse sound that is produced when air passes the relaxed tissues in throat, causing the tissues to vibrate as you breathe. Snoring is not a disease, but it may indicate a serious health condition as in some cases it can be chronic problem. Snoring during sleep may be a sign, or first alarm, of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
Causes of Snoring
Snoring causes opening up of the dialog box to produce the hoarse sound. Snoring can be caused by a number of factors that affect the air way, such as:
1. Internal structure of mouth and sinuses
2. Alcohol consumption
3. Allergies (Nasal Congestion)
4. Nasal and sinus issues
6. Sleep deprivation.The disrupted quality of sleep, could result in sleep apnea or lead to chronic sleep deprivation
7. Sleep position
Complications Associated with Snoring
1. Daytime Sleepiness or dizziness
2. Frequent frustration or anger and laziness
3. Lack of concentration
4. Risk of cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, chest pain and stroke
5. Disturbed behavioral patterns, such as aggression
6. Risk while driving vehicles, increases chances of accidents
7. Morning headaches
8. Sore throat
Precautionary Measures for Controlling Snoring
Some changes in lifestyle and home remedies can help to combat this problem.
1. Lose weight if you are obese
2. Change your bed side
3. Keep your head raised (elevated) while sleeping
4. Nasal/Adhesive strips or an external nasal dilators can also be used
5. Limit or avoid alcohol and sedatives intake
6. Quit smoking
7. Get enough good sleep (7-8 hours daily)
8. Examine your diet and cut down on inflammatory food
9. Increase water intake
10. Take steam at least twice a week
11. Clear nasal passages
12. Keep bedroom air moist
Home Remedies to Combat Snoring Issues
1. Almond oil act as a lubricant and helps to stop the snoring caused by dryness in the respiratory channel. Take a spoon of badam rogan (almond oil) in a glass of warm milk before bed.
2. Put a few drops of almond oil/ Olive or hit mustard oil in nostrils twice a day.
3. Usage of naso clear or saline in nostrils is also helpful against snoring.
4. Take a decoction of ginger and cardamom in hot water and consume this before going to bed.
5. Yoga asanas such as Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose), Dhanurasana (Bow Pose), Bhramari Pranayama (Bee Breath), Kapalbhati (Shining Skull) are helpful to prevent snoring.
6. Mint contains menthol which helps to reduce mucous from lungs and inflammation of air passageways. Therefore, consumption of mint or peppermint is also one of the option to cure snoring issues.
7. Garlic and other hot foods are considered good to prevent sinus blockage and henceforth, prevents snoring problems.
Latest studies have shown that pronouncing certain vowel sounds and curling of the tongue in specific way can strengthen the muscles of upper respiratory tract to reduce snoring. The following exercises can help:
1. Repetition of each vowel (a-e-i-o-u) aloud for three minutes a few times a day.
2 Roll your tongue behind such that it\"s tip touches backside of top front teeth. Slide your tongue back and forth for at least three minutes a day.
3. Close your mouth and press your lips. Hold for 30 seconds.
4. With your mouth open, move your jaw to the right and left. In between hold for 30 seconds.
Note: If the problem persists for longer time, consult a physician or an otolaryngologist (ear, nose, and throat doctor or ENT) before using any anti-snoring products available in the market.
Take proper sleep, stay healthy.